The Harmful Algal Information System – HAIS
The Harmful Algal Information System, HAIS, consist of access to information on current use of taxonomic names of harmful algae, on harmful algal events, on information on biogeography of harmful algal species, a HAB expert directory and during 2021 of a database on algal toxins.
The HAIS provides the basis for the Global HAB Status Report launched on 8 June 2021
- “Perceived global increase in algal blooms is attributable to intensified monitoring and emerging bloom impacts,” published in theNature journal Communications Earth & Environment, released 8 June 2021.
- Special issue of the Journal ‘Harmful Algae’ Open access to key papers.
- Synthesis and Scientific Summary for Policy Makers, released 8 June 2021
- The HAIS Data Portal (below)
- Press release 8 June 2021
The HAIS System is built within the “International Oceanographic Data and Information Exchange” (IODE) of the “Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission” (IOC) of UNESCO, and in cooperation with WoRMS, ICES, PICES, IAEA and ISSHA.
To know more about the regional reviews of the GHSR, please go to separate YouTube links.
GHSR Synthesis: https://youtu.be/Xn5kGJxeiHs
Ciguatera GHSR https://youtu.be/kvDxVFVHEf0
Australia and New Zealand GHSR: https://youtu.be/QRRTED76E7g
East Asia GHSR: https://youtu.be/DCsEXtyX8bs
The Philippines and Malaysia GHSR: https://youtu.be/vi-fHGk0Qnc
US GHSR: https://youtu.be/uvDMQUtlICk
North Atlantic Margin: https://youtu.be/Hmois4MOI6o
Northern Europe NEW: https://youtu.be/tV7SxVDs43g
1. IOC Taxonomic Reference List of Toxic Microalgae provides a reference for the use of names and information on each species of toxic microalgae. It is a special section of the World Register of Marine Organisms (WoRMS).
2. Data portal with species occurrence and event data builds on two data sources:
- The HAEDAT is a meta database containing records of harmful algal events.
- The biogeography of harmful algal species, HABMAP within OBIS
- Get an introduction to how to navigate in the data portal: https://youtu.be/POBkb-SvtHk
3. International Directory of Experts In Harmful Algae and Their Effects on Fisheries and Public Health is a specialized section of the IOC OceanExpert directory.